Recent Posts

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Shelvey: 'It's time for me to deliver'

Jonjo Shelvey is convinced his prolific spell at Blackpool will help to ignite his fledgling Liverpool career.
The 19-year-old fired six goals in 10 eye-catching appearances during his two-month stint at Bloomfield Road, illustrating just why he is regarded as a youngster with such a bright future.
The former Charlton prodigy admits his time with Ian Holloway's side couldn't have gone better and now hopes to show Kenny Dalglish how much he has improved.
"I feel that the time I spent away from the club really helped me come on as a player," Shelvey said.
"But it also made me realise just how much I want to be playing in Liverpool's first team.
"There's a big difference between Championship football and Barclays Premier League football.
"It's so good to be back in and around the squad. I only got on for a few minutes on Saturday but it was really special to be back out there on the pitch in front of the fans. It's always a great honour to play for Liverpool.
"Kenny called me back and hopefully now I can show the gaffer what I can do. I've got to deliver day in, day out in training and try to force my way into his plans."
Shelvey quickly established himself as a favourite amongst Tangerines supporters with his probing surges from an advanced midfield position causing havoc amongst Championship defences.
He is proud to have developed such a good relationship with the Seasiders' fans and has nothing but fond memories of his spell there.

"I really enjoyed my time at Blackpool and it's a great club," he added.
"I formed a bond with their fans and I really hope they get promoted.
 "One or two of my performances were not all that but I scored a few goals for them and my game certainly improved.
"Playing regularly meant I was able to get my match fitness up and now I'm back I want to keep playing."
A long-term injury to Lucas Leiva coupled with Jay Spearing's suspension means places are up for grabs at the heart of Liverpool's midfield.
Shelvey acknowledges that the loss of the Brazilian is a blow for the Reds but hopes to play some part in helping the club to flourish in his absence.
 "Obviously it was really unfortunate for Lucas to get such a bad injury and then for Jay to get a ban as well," he said.
"With a few players missing there's definitely an opening there but it's down to the gaffer whether he wants to pick me.
"When my time comes I'll be waiting and ready to take my chance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More