Recent Posts

Saturday 17 December 2011

Warnock: I'm still a red


Stephen Warnock has spoken of his deep affection for Liverpool Football Club and is relishing the prospect of going head-to-head with his former club when they visit Aston Villa on Sunday afternoon.
The versatile left-back is a product of the Reds' Academy system and was part of the overall squad that went on to win both the Champions League and FA Cup in back-to-back seasons.  
Asked if he was still a keen supporter during a phone interview on Friday Night Live, Warnock said: "Yes, I am. Once you are in the game it's a little bit different, but it's always the next result I look out for at the weekend. I always follow and try and keep in touch with the lads. I hope they go on and have a successful season."
He continued: "Liverpool was the perfect grounding for me to go on in my career and make a living out of the game. I had great coaches at Liverpool - there aren't many clubs who will give you that breeding to go on and be successful.
"When I broke into the team I was fortunate enough to go in and play alongside greats like Jamie (Carragher) and Steven (Gerrard) and learn a lot from them. I always look back on my time at Liverpool fondly, but sometimes you just have to know when to break away.
"I actually saw Jamie last weekend and spoke to him briefly about the game. But once it comes around you just want to focus on your own team and try and get the right result.
"Obviously I'm excited about the game. It's a tough one for us. Liverpool will want the three points. We know it's a tough task, but we like to think we are a good team at home, so hopefully it'll be a good game.
"It's a fixture I always look out for. All my family are on the phone wondering when they can get tickets. So, yes, it's a game I always look forward to - both this one and Blackburn because of the ties I have with both clubs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More